Subscribe Now!

Friday 6 June 2014

Day One! ( Night Class Adventure Series)

I am not obsessed by my dreams and aspirations, but don't let that fool you; they were HUGE! Not such a driven person; maybe that is something I should work on. On this day, I would say I left the hostel by chance. After days and days of procrastinating, two of my roomies were going for night class and I decided to join them. I was just coming back from a church programme, and I was getting lazy and it seemed I was going to while away the time till the next day, like I've been doing for months. But they gave me the zeal, so I left the hostel with them. As we neared the precinct of the class buildings, my face immediately lit up. I found it fascinating the way the lights shone brightly juxtaposed with the dark night sky. It was one thing to come to that class in the afternoon, and another to come there at night. It seemed like a transformation. Seeing people sitting, reading in class gave me this nostalgic warm feeling. To many people, this was a perfunctory ordeal, to me it was adventure! I entered the class, and I tell you, it was a funny sight. Boys and girls were prepping hard. Then I saw various bottles of drinks; miranda, coke, one girl was sharing crackers with her friend. Mouths were moving, some were just chewing gum, I even saw a girl eating home made ( or school made, but by her of course! ) spaghetti! she was also on warm comfortable snuggly pajamas.WOW, no time! some people just have no chill lol. The whole thing just seemed like a sleep over, or a pajamas party, ( there is one Barney episode called that). I looked for a comfortable seat and then sat down. I was reading that night at Education Faculty, and I kept thinking to myself that I should have read at Law, because it was closer to the hostel. That was my lazy tendency acting up again. It was Physics 113 I decided to read that night. After what seemed like six hours of reading, I decided to go behind the class to take the picture I'll use for this post. I checked the time, it was just ten. I had started reading at nine. I began contemplating; do I go back and rest so I could wake up early the next day, or push harder. I kept thinking this through, I could be indecisive at times. I really feel that I am not a night guy though. I'm more productive in the afternoons. But common sense prevailed! I kept saying to myself; "Uche, you can do this!" So I decided to go to the place we call June 12 here to find something to put in my mouth basically, that would keep me active. I had wanted to buy Nescafe, they had the 80 naira own and the 120 naira own, but I finally settled for just water and a sweet; Pin Pon sweet. I couldn't tell which was more surprising; that the people selling were still there at such ungodly hour, or that the place was swarming with buyers and passers-by. I guess it was mutually beneficial to both parties. The guy selling the Nescafe was dosing and nodding off. Why, fail! this dude doesn't even use the product he is selling. Before I got back to the class, the sweet was almost finished and had already changed to 'chewing gum' ( gum). Not really a fan of gum because it eventually affects my head, the whole chewing and churning can be very stressful. I throw them away as soon as the flavour is gone. I decided to use 11 to 12 to write this blogpost.But I might have to consider this night class thing and make better use of my day time. Exams are soon. But night classes are overrated! It's about finding out what works for you and covering your subjects. My advice is, do as you much as you can. Tell yourself as I did " *insert your name* I can do this! " I ain't planning to hit 3, or 4 that most people reach. I love my sleep!! But night classes are cool. Not that hard.

Day One! is part of the Night Class Adventures Series, with which the author tells the stories of his various encounters as he goes to class at nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment